.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Requiem for Josiah Wedgwood

Old news by now, but I can’t seem to get over the demise of Wedgwood. I would like to take a moment to pause and acknowledge the wonders of Josiah Wedgwood (1730-1795).

Josiah Wedgwood created the most significant innovations in ceramics since porcelain was discovered by the Chinese 900 years earlier. He elevated English ornamental pottery to the prestige of Meissen and Sèvres. He did this so fast, so thoroughly and was so influential. He even invented and developed new types of wares turning humble English pottery into a very fashionable accessory to have.

Wedgwood came from a family of long, established potters. He apprenticed to his older brother, Thomas, for five years who he learned the art of throwing and handling. During this time, he also had to pledge that he would not embezzle or waste his older brother’s stuff, play cards or gamble with dice, “haunt or frequent any taverns or ale houses”, or “commit fornication”.

No drinking, no gambling and no hanky-panky… the young Josiah had more than enough time to focus on his craft.

Wedgwood was an entrepreneur. He dedicated his life to the improvement of ceramics and industrialized the manufacturing of pottery by introducing new methods of factory discipline and cost accounting. He was also a sharp businessman and ferreted out every opportunity to market his products.

He made even utilitarian items stylish.

Just a few items to share if I had buckets of cash… Which ones do any of you prefer?


Wouldn’t mind having this little black basalt 5” high mug with a sterling silver rim. I’d use it as a pen holder on my desk. It dates to the late eighteenth century, so I would make sure all my pen caps were on tight to prevent leaking before I jammed them in there. (Sold at Skinner July 2008)

Love the brilliant blue on this lustre bowl from the 1920s. But I am also a big fan of hummingbirds. It would be nice sitting on a simple kitchen table. No casually chucking car keys in this one from half way across the room. (Sold at Skinner July 2008)


I like this Unique Ware bowl by Norman Wilson from around 1945. Almost 11” in diameter, it would be good to hold fruit. I love the gray fluted body. The interior is glazed in a mottled peach. This is better suited for the kitchen. I’m moving the Humming bird bowl to a bedroom dresser. (Sold at Skinner July 2008)


Nice lobster salad bowl from the nineteenth century to put dips in. I would upgrade from the sour cream and Lipton onion mix kind of dip. (from Wedgwood Museum)


I am fond of this Pâte-sur-pâte banjo vase produced in 1878. But I’ve been going through an “I love Japonisme” phase for quite a while. Pâte-sur-pâte is a technique where they slowly and painstakingly layer paste upon paste of slip or diluted clay. This process creates the delicate and translucent white applied decoration. Not sure where I would put this one. (from Wedgwood Museum)


All of these items go in my non-existent house overlooking the ocean I’ve been designing in my head, you know.


Love this sweet little flower pot. Wouldn’t a few of these lined up with red geraniums sitting merrily on a white painted windowsill look sharp? I don’t have a green thumb, but I can keep geraniums alive. This is from the late eighteenth century. I would opt for repros. (Skinner January 2007)

I have a thing for belt buckles. The Budweiser beer belching drinking belly toppling over kind of belt buckles. This is a shoe buckle from the eighteenth century, but I would convert it over to a belt buckle. This would most certainly improve my collection. I would wear it with a black dress or a pair of jeans. (Skinner January 2008)

From the late eighteenth century/early nineteenth, I’d wear this Dark Blue Jasper Dip bead necklace with a crisp and freshly ironed shirt which I never have because I hate to iron. In reality, I would be wearing a crumpled white shirt I stuck in the bathroom while taking a scorching hot shower -- the lazy way to minimize wrinkles. (Skinner July 2007)

What about taking this 1958 design developed in conjunction with footwear company H&M Rayne and elongating or streamlining the form a bit to sass it up. It is a must in black patent leather, and change all the blue to black basalt. Do traipse lightly over a brick walk -- I would hate to get the heel stuck in one of the cracks. (from Wedgwood Museum)


LOVE LOVE LOVE these dark blue Jasper Dip plaques, circa 1800. I would love to get two more and mount all four over the bed against soft white walls. (Skinner July 2005)

I would not try to put this brass dog collar around my dog’s neck. He would be uncomfortable and honestly very miffed with me.

From the late eighteenth century, the collar is inscribed "John Wedgwood Bignall End". (John Wedgwood (1760-1839) was the son of John Wedgwood senior who was the cousin of Josiah Wedgwood.) The diameter is lass than 4” – quite heavy for John Junior’s small dog. (Skinner July 2005)

R.I.P. Josiah Wedgwood